Over the bar: What’s new in October
This is a list of new whiskies selected, tasted and released weekly by our passionate team. We put around 10 whiskies on the bar each week, so our menu is forever changing and evolving and includes a broad selection of new, vintage and independently bottled whiskies.
Here we bring you our line up, and we hope these bottles inspire you to explore the world of whisky further, and give you some great ideas about what to look for the next time you visit the bar.
Pictured above: New whisky on pour at Whisky & Alement from Monday 7th October 2019.
Pictured above: New whisky on pour at Whisky & Alement from Monday 14th October 2019.
What we’re Drinking: The Best of September | October
1. Longrow ‘Red’ 11 year old Pinot Noir Cask matured (8 years ex bourbon, 3 years Pinot Noir Barriques from Grant Taylor’s Valli vineyards, Central Otago NZ), Campbeltown 53.1% Tasting notes of seared venison coated in blueberry red wine jus, dulce du leche, cranberry jam and thickened cream.
Bar $10* | 15ml Bottle Shop $200* | 700ml
2. Balmenach 2001 bottled 2019 Fresh Fill Sherry Cask No. 06/06081 by Masam (Samaroli), 1 of 270 bottles, Speyside 59.7%Tasting notes of Cherry Ripe, rancio, balsamic strawberries, tinned peaches, chocolate fondue and Rodenbach beer.
Bar $14.5* | 15ml Bottle Shop $349* | 700ml
3. Scotch Malt Whisky Society 10.176 ‘Tea-smoked salmon’ 11 year old 2nd Fill Hogshead/ES Olo, 1 of 266 bottles, Islay 59.2% Tasting notes of Pizza Hut bacon bits, Jalepenos, roasted red capsicum and blacked pizza base.
Bar $11.5* (M) $13.75* (NM) | 15ml Bottle Shop http://www.smws.com.au
4. Bunnahabhain 40 year old bottled 2019 Butt No. 7229 by Masam (Samaroli), 1 of 520 bottles, Islay 51.6% Tasting notes of a new doctor’s bag, salted caramels, sootiness, the wood workers shop and blue heaven spiders.
Bar $29.25* | 15ml Bottle Shop $720* | 700ml
5. Port Charlotte MOC:01 2005 13 year old Single Cask No. 15/307 – 19 ‘The Distillery Valinch’ (Distillery Only Release) 1st Fill Moulis Cask Matured, 1 of 419 bottles, Islay 57.9% Tasting notes of BBQ Samboys, paprika braesola, dolmades, duck liver pate and smoked cheddar.
Bar $20* | 15ml Bottle Shop N/A
Runner Up: Bunnahabhain ‘Heavy Peat’ 5 year old 2013 bottled 2019 by Cadenhead, 3 x bourbon casks, 1 of 720 bottles, Islay 58.9% Tasting notes of salami, green peppers, lamb broth, chowder, jammy citrus, roasted malt, brine and passata.
Bar $6.5* | 15ml Bottle Shop $132* | 700ml
New Release Highlight: Sullivans Cove 21 year old, a vatting of 4 casks, Tasmania 49.6% Tasting notes of buttered pancakes, Werthers caramels, raspberry coulis, blonde Scandinavian furniture, age displays itself as ripe tropical fruits. Don’t rush this whisky and you’ll enjoy the unfolding flavour profile that only time can deliver.
Bar $60.5* | 15ml Bottle Shop via mailing list at sullivanscove.com
*prices are subject to change at any time.
Pictured above: New whisky on pour at Whisky & Alement from Monday 21st October 2019.