Over the bar: What’s new in April
This is a list of new whiskies selected, tasted and released weekly by our passionate team. We put around 10 whiskies on the bar each week, so our menu is forever changing and evolving and includes a broad selection of new, vintage and independently bottled whiskies.
Here we bring you our tasting notes, and we hope they’ll inspire you to explore the world of whisky further, and give you some great ideas about what to look for the next time you visit the bar.
1. Daftmill 2006 Winter Batch Release 46%, Lowlands –
Tasting Notes: Apricot delight, limed cordial, yeasty. Fills out on the finish with spiciness on the back palate, opening up into flavours of passionfruit.
2. Miltonduff 22 year old by High Spirits’ Life is a Circus collection %, Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Dry grass, green candy, muesli bars, underripe nectarines and pear skins.
3. Glenturret 18 year old, special bottling for 5th birthday of Angel’s Share Italy, first fill ex-bourbon hogshead 1995/2013 52%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Waxy, orange rind, biscuity, creamy, milky malt flavour with a spicy finish of roses and lavender.
4. Ord 10 year old 2008/2018 ex-bourbon hogshead by Cadenheads 58.3%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Milko bottles, honey, brie, fresh cereal, a hint of smoke, green grass and white pepper.
5. Chief’s Son 900 First Release 45%, Victoria, Australia –
Tasting Notes: Mesquite, peanut brittle, burnt butter, meat bark, jalapeños, wet campfire and toffee apples in a bush fire.
6. Hazelburn 10 year old 2007/2018 refill Sauternes hogshead for the Springbank Society 55.9%, Campbeltown –
Tasting Notes: Yeasty hot cross buns – we’re saving this one for easter!
7. Edradour 11 year old ex-bourbon cask 59.2%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Jelly babies, coconut, soft cheese, sunscreen, buttered crumpets and sweet honey on yoghurt.
8. White Oak 5 year old cask #1130 for Shinanoya 57%, Japan –
Tasting Notes: Peach, chamomile, maraschino, industrial yet pretty, gummy pythons, salty driftwood, wrought iron, fried onions, coal and honeyed wood chips.
9. Bunnahabhain 10 year old ex-sherry cask by Adelphi 58.8%, Islay –
Tasting Notes: Dark chocolate, raspberry coulis, liqueur chocolates, strawberry jam, venison and blueberry gravy.
10. Ballechin Heavily Peated 12 year old 2005/2018 by Signatory for The Whisky Barrel 61.5%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Venison jerky, bitumen, cherry liqueur dark chocolates, meat scrapings and BBQ spice mix.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 3 Apr 2019
11. Glencadam 1987 by Gordon and MacPhail 43%, Highlands ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Minty fresh, purple flowers, waxy, scented texts, with pollen on the finish.
12. Macallan ‘The Twenties’ (a re-creation of 1920’s Macallan) 40%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Big sherry, meaty, Vegemite, old books, tobacco leaves, dried figs, roasted nuts and cherries.
13. The Craft by Tasmanian Independent Bottlers (TIB’s) Casks TIB 20 (90%, ex-bourbon cask) and TIB 11 (10%, ex-sherry cask) 48.1%, Australia ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Good fruit, yeasty, pears, chive and pork gyoza and watermelon rind. A little young, we would have loved to see what this could do with more time in the cask!
14. Dalwhinnie 25 year old Batch 0198 52.1%, Highlands ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Old style sherry cask influence, pink flowers, mead, mineral, coal and steam engines. We’d happily sit down to a stein of this!
15. Aultmore 11 year old ‘Exclusive’ range 2005/2016 by Gordon and MacPhail 50%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Pencil Shavings, fresh wooden toy boxes, fake leather, grass clippings, apple toffee and a hint of peat. Don’t let the nose put you off this whisky, the palate delivers much more than what is promised on the nose.
16. Glenrothes 25 year old by Adelphi 55.5%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Butterscotch and Picnic bars! A classic Glenrothes.
17. Arran 14 year old Private Cask for The Whisky Exchange 55.5%, Islands ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: A minor peat character, preserved lemons, floral soap, lovely sweet and malty with a fun hint of curry!
18. Allt-A-Bhainne 7 year old 2008/2016 ex-puncheon cask #900239 A special bottling for Kyoto by Kingsbury 64.3%, Speyside ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Bright red fruit, apricot lip balm, Mac lipstick, jersey caramels, rancio, fruit yoghurt and black forest cake.
19. Bowmore The Devil’s Casks Limited Release III a marriage of first fill oloroso and PX sherry casks 56.7%, Islay ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Oyster sauce, rice paper rolls, tonkatsu sauce, mango, tropical fruits caramelised on the BBQ (yes! old fruity Bowmore!) and a good balance of peat.
20. Chichibu The Peated 2011/2015 Cask Strength %, Japan ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Charred tropical fruit and elegant smoke. The finish takes over with nuttiness and a hint of chlorine.
21. Elements of Islay Cl11 55.4%, Islay ★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Wine is immediately prevalent (Chenin Blanc?), Coq au vin, funky, mushroom soup and french cooking.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 10 Apr 2019