Over the bar: What’s new in December
This is a list of new whiskies selected, tasted and released weekly by our passionate team. We put around 10 whiskies on the bar each week, so our menu is forever changing and evolving and includes a broad selection of new, vintage and independently bottled whiskies.
Here we bring you our tasting notes, and we hope they’ll inspire you to explore the world of whisky further, and give you some great ideas about what to look for the next time you visit the bar.
1. SMWS 68.12 Beeswax on a cello 58.1% Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Marzipan, apricot marmalade, cedar, menthol, nougat and clove.
2. Aultmore 21 year old ex-bourbon cask by Maltbarn 50.7% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Grapefruit oil, freshly cut grass, mineral, biscuity with a finish of black tea and bergamot.
3. Blair Athol 22 year old single sherry butt matured by Old Malt Cask 50% Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Grape flavoured Hubba Bubba, purple Fanta, pecan, clove, jersey caramels with a salty finish.
4. SMWS 44.96 Who ate all the pies? 59.7% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Apple cider vinegar, sweet pastry with a raw cashew texture finishes with cherry pie and fruit danishes.
5. Glen Moray 120th Anniversary Edition finished in virgin oak 52.4% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Honey roasted almonds, vanilla slice, vanilla bean poached fruits, raw pistachios and Viennetta ice-cream.
6. SMWS 35.196 A Moroccan snake cake 58.2% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Mahogany, dark chocolate coated inca berries and cherry liqueur filled chocolate.
7. The Macallan Edition No. 4 48.4% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Brown sugar on the nose delivers on the palate alongside allspice and advent calendar chocolate.
8. Glenfarclas 15 year old bottled pre 1991 46% Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Old chocolates that have been individually wrapped, teriyaki glaze and musty strawberries.
9. Springbank 13 year old cask 996 Sherry Butt 60.3% Campbeltown –
Tasting Notes: Gunpowder, bitumen, driftwood, sugar and prune flambe, dank wood and rancio. Washed rind cheese, rust, a fresh packet of balloons finishes with pudding glaze and fruit pies!
10. Longrow Red 11 year old Cabernet Franc cask 55.9% Campbeltown –
Tasting Notes: White chocolate and mushroom soil, cheese and bacon balls, but no peat on the nose. Remarkably fruity with a finish of green peppercorns.
11. Thomson Manuka NZ manuka smoked whiskey 46% New Zealand –
Tasting Notes: Clove, cigarettes and a bark bushfire.
12. SMWS 53.270 Preparation for skinny dipping 60.9% Islay –
Tasting Notes: Pork crackling, burn anzac biscuits and peanut brittle!
13. A.D.Laws Four Grain Single Barrel Bourbon 59% America –
Tasting Notes: Dr. Pepper cola, cherries and rye bread.
14. Glenfarclas Heritage Cask Strength 60% Speyside (M.W.R only) –
Tasting Notes: Leather, cherry liqueur chocolates, molasses, marsala, vintage port, brandy soaked Christmas pudding, a little fire soot and dark cacao date energy balls. Kecap Manis, treacle and hot raspberry jam on the finish. One incredible whisky!
15. Ballechin 11 year old Caroni Cask finish 56.2% Highlands (M.W.R only) –
Tasting Notes: Cannabis, arid dry red earth, barbecued pineapples, dry peat, with a finish of subtle vanilla that becomes rich and pastry-like with time in the glass.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 5 Dec