Over the bar: What’s new in April
This is a list of new whiskies selected, tasted and released weekly by our passionate team. We put around 10 whiskies on the bar each week, so our menu is forever changing and evolving and includes a broad selection of new, vintage and independently bottled whiskies.
Here we bring you our tasting notes, and we hope they’ll inspire you to explore the world of whisky further, and give you some great ideas about what to look for the next time you visit the bar.
1. Daftmill 2006 Winter Batch Release 46%, Lowlands –
Tasting Notes: Apricot delight, limed cordial, yeasty. Fills out on the finish with spiciness on the back palate, opening up into flavours of passionfruit.
2. Miltonduff 22 year old by High Spirits’ Life is a Circus collection %, Speyside –
Tasting Notes: Dry grass, green candy, muesli bars, underripe nectarines and pear skins.
3. Glenturret 18 year old, special bottling for 5th birthday of Angel’s Share Italy, first fill ex-bourbon hogshead 1995/2013 52%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Waxy, orange rind, biscuity, creamy, milky malt flavour with a spicy finish of roses and lavender.
4. Ord 10 year old 2008/2018 ex-bourbon hogshead by Cadenheads 58.3%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Milko bottles, honey, brie, fresh cereal, a hint of smoke, green grass and white pepper.
5. Chief’s Son 900 First Release 45%, Victoria, Australia –
Tasting Notes: Mesquite, peanut brittle, burnt butter, meat bark, jalapeños, wet campfire and toffee apples in a bush fire.
6. Hazelburn 10 year old 2007/2018 refill Sauternes hogshead for the Springbank Society 55.9%, Campbeltown –
Tasting Notes: Yeasty hot cross buns – we’re saving this one for easter!
7. Edradour 11 year old ex-bourbon cask 59.2%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Jelly babies, coconut, soft cheese, sunscreen, buttered crumpets and sweet honey on yoghurt.
8. White Oak 5 year old cask #1130 for Shinanoya 57%, Japan –
Tasting Notes: Peach, chamomile, maraschino, industrial yet pretty, gummy pythons, salty driftwood, wrought iron, fried onions, coal and honeyed wood chips.
9. Bunnahabhain 10 year old ex-sherry cask by Adelphi 58.8%, Islay –
Tasting Notes: Dark chocolate, raspberry coulis, liqueur chocolates, strawberry jam, venison and blueberry gravy.
10. Ballechin Heavily Peated 12 year old 2005/2018 by Signatory for The Whisky Barrel 61.5%, Highlands –
Tasting Notes: Venison jerky, bitumen, cherry liqueur dark chocolates, meat scrapings and BBQ spice mix.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 3 Apr 2019
11. Glencadam 1987 by Gordon and MacPhail 43%, Highlands ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Minty fresh, purple flowers, waxy, scented texts, with pollen on the finish.
12. Macallan ‘The Twenties’ (a re-creation of 1920’s Macallan) 40%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Big sherry, meaty, Vegemite, old books, tobacco leaves, dried figs, roasted nuts and cherries.
13. The Craft by Tasmanian Independent Bottlers (TIB’s) Casks TIB 20 (90%, ex-bourbon cask) and TIB 11 (10%, ex-sherry cask) 48.1%, Australia ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Good fruit, yeasty, pears, chive and pork gyoza and watermelon rind. A little young, we would have loved to see what this could do with more time in the cask!
14. Dalwhinnie 25 year old Batch 0198 52.1%, Highlands ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Old style sherry cask influence, pink flowers, mead, mineral, coal and steam engines. We’d happily sit down to a stein of this!
15. Aultmore 11 year old ‘Exclusive’ range 2005/2016 by Gordon and MacPhail 50%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Pencil Shavings, fresh wooden toy boxes, fake leather, grass clippings, apple toffee and a hint of peat. Don’t let the nose put you off this whisky, the palate delivers much more than what is promised on the nose.
16. Glenrothes 25 year old by Adelphi 55.5%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Butterscotch and Picnic bars! A classic Glenrothes.
17. Arran 14 year old Private Cask for The Whisky Exchange 55.5%, Islands ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: A minor peat character, preserved lemons, floral soap, lovely sweet and malty with a fun hint of curry!
18. Allt-A-Bhainne 7 year old 2008/2016 ex-puncheon cask #900239 A special bottling for Kyoto by Kingsbury 64.3%, Speyside ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Bright red fruit, apricot lip balm, Mac lipstick, jersey caramels, rancio, fruit yoghurt and black forest cake.
19. Bowmore The Devil’s Casks Limited Release III a marriage of first fill oloroso and PX sherry casks 56.7%, Islay ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Oyster sauce, rice paper rolls, tonkatsu sauce, mango, tropical fruits caramelised on the BBQ (yes! old fruity Bowmore!) and a good balance of peat.
20. Chichibu The Peated 2011/2015 Cask Strength %, Japan ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Charred tropical fruit and elegant smoke. The finish takes over with nuttiness and a hint of chlorine.
21. Elements of Islay Cl11 55.4%, Islay ★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Wine is immediately prevalent (Chenin Blanc?), Coq au vin, funky, mushroom soup and french cooking.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 10 Apr 2019
Whisky & Alement is very proud to announce the release of a new joint bottling in collaboration with Hidden Spirits. This Ben Nevis 13 year old was one of only 8 casks of heavily peated Ben Nevis maturing at the distillery at its time of selection and is extremely unique – matured in an ex-Sherry cask and finished in a Caol Ila cask! A very big thanks to Andrea for helping us realise this dream in 2018 on a trip to Italy. Now on pour at the bar! Bottles are now available from the Whisky & Alement bottle shop. Wholesale enquires contact Independent Whisky Company.
22. Ben Nevis 13 year old Heavily Peated ex-sherry cask by Hidden Spirits, selected for Whisky & Alement 57.1%, Highlands ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Old leather, cacao nibs, tobacco leaf, dried figs, smoked beef, chocolate, mocha coffee, raspberry coulis and chocolate malt.
23. SMWS 24.134 Sweet seduction 22 year old %, Speyside –
Tasting Notes: coming soon
24. SMWS 24.135 An opulent temptation 22 year old %, Speyside –
Tasting Notes: coming soon
25. SMWS 24.136 A dark allurement 22 year old %, Speyside –
Tasting Notes: coming soon
26. SMWS 37.110 Spiced fruit compote 55.9%, Speyside ★★★★★–
Tasting Notes: Waxy apricots, juicy fruit, wood polish, dusty old cabinets and tung oil on the nose. More juicy fruit on the palate, apricots lead into moroccan spice, fatty, lanolin, varnish with a hint of floral, waxy notes. Finishes spicy with cumin and more fruit.
27. SMWS 4.249 The mermaid’s marmalade 64.8%, Islands ★★★★★–
Tasting Notes: Beachside fire, salted beef, caramel, petrichor, bichumen, gravel dust and burnt butter on the nose. Pronounced peat on the palate (for Highland Park) with apricots, samphire, butterscotch, cinnamon, caramelised oranges and sherbet on an oily palate. Finishes with cinnamon and orange.
28. SMWS 53.283 A smoky smooch 60.2%, Islay ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Grape hubby bubba, vanilla, coconut, lemon sherbert, rose soap and lavender on the nose. A classic Caol Ila with a palate of caramel ice cream, lemon zest, macadamia. Finishes with tar and grapefruit.
29. SMWS 44.103 Blown away 59%, Speyside ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: On the nose – chicken and beef, MSG, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, prunes, red earth. On the palate – Spicy, dried fruits, prune tart, cardamon, clove with a finish of beef.
30. SMWS 88.11 A day at the beach 54.8%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Strawberry bubble gum, custard and pears, rose, sea spray, Bubble-O-Bill ice-cream, white chocolate, dandelion with a finish of Creme de Menthe.
31. SMWS 39.174 The Shaman will see you now (Partner Bar Exclusive) 54.3%, Speyside ★★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Blood plums, grape seed oil, old wood, cedar, rancio, jasmine and grape on the nose. On the palate mahogany, orange blossom, honey, rancio, orange oil, jasmine tea, angelica root with a finish of fermented apricots and mandarine skins.
32. SMWS 123.25 Joyful impressions of spring (Partner Bar Exclusive) 62.1%, Highlands ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Varnish, spruce, hay, chlorine, soapy, pot porri, pineapple, vanilla. Add water! Juicy malt, nectarines, fatty texture, cumin with a spicy finish of cumin and white pepper.
33. SMWS 66.128 Great fun (Partner Bar Exclusive) 56.6%, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: On the nose – bacon, raspberry coulee, red apples, juicy malt and fruits with a hint of dry cacao. Mocha coffee, lemon, pink lady apples, lemon sherbet and earthy wood smoke on the palate with a finish of creamy chocolate.
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 17 Apr 2019
34. Clynelish Game of Thones House Tyrell %, Highlands ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: A complex nose of chocolate brownies, flamed orange zest, linseed oil, clove, fudge, cardamom and Imperial Leather soap. On the palate apple lollie gums, BBQ scrapings, chia seeds, rose soy candles finishing with raspberries!
35. Singleton of Glendullan Game of Thones House Tully %, Speyside ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: A nose of strawberry shortcake, raspberry Jam, perfumed apples and fermented chilli. Damp hay and raw cereal on the palate finishes with bark and Paddlepop sticks.
36. Talisker Game of Thones House Greyjoy %, Islands ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Crayfish, raspberry sherbert, pink apples and damp rocks on the nose. A palate of caramel, slate and limestone, green pepper corns and chocolate syrup.
37. Dalwhinnie Game of Thrones Winter’s Frost %, Highlands ★★★★–
Tasting Notes: A nose of lime cordial, pears and apples, dandelions moves into buttery pastry, bitter cooked lime zest and cinnamon on the palate. Finishes with anise.
38. Royal Lochnager 12 year old Game of Thrones House Baratheon %, Highlands ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Butterscotch, desiccated coconut and orgeat almond syrup on the nose. On the palate fake caramel and loads more coconut finishing with chamomile.
39. Lagavulin 9 year old Game of Thrones House Lannister %, Islay ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Pickled green beas, cumin seeds, betadine and bandaids, spearmint and vanilla on the nose. A palate of bitchumen, burnt rubber, mint and petrichor with an odd finish of artichoke hearts.
40. Cardhu Gold Reserve Game of Thrones House Targaryen %, Islay ★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: A nose of peppered strawberry jam and chocolate log. On the palate wood spice and advent calendar chocolate finishing with caramel jerseys.
41. Oban Bay Reserve Game of Thrones The Night’s Watch %, Islay ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Green Apple Bubble gum, strawberry zappos, peashes and floral nectarine skins on the nose. On the palate white pepper, and grandmothers handmade soap with whole flower petals.
42. Kilchoman Sauternes Cask %, Islay ★★★★★–
Tasting Notes: Peanut Butter, dried apricot ad honey, orange blossom and ashy smoke on the nose. On the palate honey, ash rind goats cheese, tart dried apricots and dried peaches that continue into the finish.
43. Amrut single ex-rye cask for Alba Whisky %, India ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Lime jelly, sarsaparilla root and rosemary on the nose. A palate of lime cordial, juicy malts, peaches and necatrines.
44. Caperdonich 1999 bottled 2012 by Gordon and MacPhail Connoisseur’s Choice %, Speyside ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Honeydew melons, milk bottle lollies, fresh cut grass, dandelion and burdock on the nose. A spicy, malty palate of oregano, buttery pastry with a waxy mouthfeel. Finishes with soap and roses.
45. Old Kempton Pinot Noir Cask %, Tasmania ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: On the nose – Curly Wurlys(!), freeze dried strawberries and red currants develop into blood plums, Msg and chicken stock on the palate.
46. Adam’s Distillery First Release %, Tasmania ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: On the nose strawberry flavoured chocolate and chocolate malt with a palate of blackberry jam and chocolate malt. A little bit youthful and green, it’ll be great to see what the future holds for Adam’s with a more mature product.
47. Shot in the Dark by Heartwood %, Tasmania ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Eucalypt fire, ironbark honey, red earth, bolognese on the nose leads into a palate of rancio (our favourite) and chocolate!
48. Dregs Batch 3 by Heartwood %, Tasmania ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Butterscotch, meat drippings, jarrah, lantana, chicken stock, and cardamom on the nose with a palate of caramel syrup, ginger snaps, cinnamon and menthol finishing with drying wood spice.
49. Old Kempton Distillery by TIB’s %, Tasmania ★★★★☆ –
Tasting Notes: Blondies, salted butter, shortbread, Ovaltines, and strawberry jam on the nose develop into cinnamon, hotcross buns, raspberry sherbet and sticky date pudding on the palate.
50. Fleurieu Distillery by TIB’s %, South Australia ★★★★ –
Tasting Notes: Ginger snap, corriander seeds, fennel seeds, sugared almonds and whole grain bread on the nose. A jammy palate with ginger and sugared almonds finishing with more jam!
*On pour at Whisky & Alement from Wed 24 Apr 2019