10 Christmas whiskies under $150
If you haven’t found a Christmas gift for the whisky lover in your life, or if you’re simply on the hunt for something delicious for yourself, here’s a selection of Whisky & Alement’s favourite bottles available for take away at the moment. While there’s plenty of amazing single malts on offer, we’ve also dropped in a few classic options from around the world for the intrepid whisky travellers.
1. Loch Lomond Inchmoan 12 Year Old Single Malt Whisky, 46% – $116
From Loch Lomond’s ridiculously complex distillery comes this combination of malts from two of their unique pot stills. Fruity, spicy and nutty, on top of a gentle undercurrent of peat smoke.
2. Dailuaine 10 Year Old Hidden Spirits Peated Cask Finish Single Malt Whisky, 56.1% – $143
We just got this fascinating Hidden Spirits bottling into the country through our importing arm, Independent Whisky Company. On tasting, the team found green bananas, sweet peat and Christmas roast!
3. Wolfburn Langskip Single Malt Whisky, 58% – $130
We’re continually impressed by the bottlings from the up-and-coming Wolfburn Distillery. The Langskip has only recently hit the Aussie market and is surprisingly citrusy, creamy and elegant for the 58% abv.
4. Starward Two Fold Double Grain Australian Whisky, 40% – $65
Possibly the most significant Australian whisky to be released in 2018. We love the liquid, we adore the price, and we love getting behind this pioneering local whisky brand.
5. Tomintoul 16 Year Old Single Malt Whisky, 40% – $115
How refreshing to see a complex, fruity Speysider like this Tomintoul wearing a healthy age statement and coming in at a great price. Perfect for someone who enjoys a more subtle, gentle dram.
6. Noah’s Mill Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky, 57.15% – $124
This is one of our favourite Kentucky bourbons. It’s peppery and spicy, with loads of vanilla and liquorice, and the long, oily finish shows you just how good bourbon whiskey can be.
7. Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky, 45% – $120
All vanilla ice-cream and poached pear. This is one of Japan’s most delectable whiskies. Great for mixing, particularly in a highball, or for some casual summer sipping.
8. Glenturret 9 Year Old ‘Ruar Maor’ Creative Whisky Company (heavily peated), 57.8% – $143
One of the more intriguing whiskies to pass our desk in 2018. The normally soft and citrusy Glenturret has been morphed into a grungy, earthy behemoth! Perfect for the peat freak who thinks they’ve tried it all.
9. Redbreast 12 Year Old Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey, 40% – $127
We’ve often felt Redbreast is redolent of Christmas. Raspberries and toffee, nougat and toasted coconut, one of Ireland’s most important whiskies is also one of its most enjoyable.
10. Caol Ila 13 Year Old Discovery Gordon & MacPhail, 43% – $128
Gordon & MacPhail is one of our favourite independent bottlers, and Caol Ila is one of our favourite single malts. Part of G&M’s updated range (we love the packaging), this is just classic tropical fruit Caol Ila combined with sweet peat and sea salt. No brainer really.